Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Vygotsky and Meaningful Learning

While synthesizing the weather and climate standard in groups last week I began to realize the shift to be made in terms of my thinking as a teacher to become a better designer—it’s time to get away from thinking about a particular SOL and find some way to make it truly make sense! A more holistic approach in comparison to the focus on the one piece. Breaking the standard apart with SPD, was a start.  It made me think deeper about the content I want my students to learn, I was thinking more about what the kids might already know and how to bridge any gaps, and my mind was going in circles coming up with the discourse and ways to make meaningful activities. It was much more rewarding than my typical weekly planning where I complete a weekly chart and sprinkle in a few objectives, procedures, and materials.  The driving questions we must hone in on as we go down this journey to become better designers are what do the kids have to know, and how can we present the material to them in a manner that also prepares them for their future? 
Now to Vygotsky—while educational psychology undergrad classes have been some time ago, reading Vygotsky’s Mind in Society brought back many memories from that class.  I’ll admit, psychology has never been my forte, and at times the book was challenging to read, however, Vygotsky’s work truly is revolutionary.  It’s amazing, too, to think that all of his experiments and works were occurring during such a tumultuous time in history!  As educators, a big point of Vygotsky’s that we utilize is to ensure students have sufficient exposure, and then model, coach, and fade them across the finish line of the ZPD! In my classroom I think about my community of students and the wide array of upbringings those kids have had. Some certainly with more exposure to the content than others which, in turn, makes it easier for them to master the concept.  However, sticking with the model, coach, and fade method, along with doing the magic that we teachers do (heterogeneous grouping, varying strategies, sufficient practice, just naming a few) we can aide in getting students across the ZPD.  In short with Vygotsky, his emphasis on play as learning and symbolic tools directly tied in with our learning principle. We must find ways to design experiences to best teach these tools.   
Further reflecting on my undergrad educational psychology course and in particular, Piaget, although that class might seem like some it’s from some bygone era circa 2010, I do think about some of the things I learned from that course often.  When I find myself wondering WHY DON’T THESE KIDS UNDERSTAND HOW TO FIND X…I remind myself, they’re still very concrete thinkers and those abstract concepts take time. It’s easy to forget sometimes that each of our students enter our classroom with different experiences, different personalities, and different ways of learning.  Our challenge is doing what we can to best meet those differences, and that goes full circle back to the importance of model, coach, and fade method. 

Finally, tying together my teaching practices with practices in class— it seems I wasn’t alone with my struggle reading Vygotsky, but we came to class and followed our weekly procedures:. interacting with the text, getting the essentials, making sense of it, and putting it all together. While it doesn’t sound like an overly complex design, it works, at least, I left class with a much deeper understanding of Mind in Society. So, I started thinking about how our design pattern in class, relates to the design pattern in Mr. Turner’s room. I suppose in my 7th grade math setting our interacting with the content occurs with the activity we do, for instance, in today’s lesson we did a Scavenger Hunt on Scientific Notation and Powers of Ten where students in group tackled many examples around the room. The getting the guts comes from discussion and notes, ensuring guts have meaning is shown with practice and group work.  Then we put everything together with an exit activity of some sort. My goal over the next few years is to improve with implementing projects that take the place of the notes or incorporate; give those students a chance to tackle the material like they’re experts!

5 comments:

  1. I liked what you said: "I remind myself, they’re still very concrete thinkers and those abstract concepts take time. It’s easy to forget sometimes that each of our students enter our classroom with different experiences, different personalities, and different ways of learning. Our challenge is doing what we can to best meet those differences, and that goes full circle back to the importance of model, coach, and fade method."
    I need to give myself the same reminder all the time. As I mentioned on Sharon's post, that "zone" is different for every student. I need to do a lot of model --> coach before my students are even taking baby steps on their own. I like your added piece recalling Piaget. (Interesting connections!) He didn't refer to a zone, but he still worked with the idea of readiness. Our students, even my 9th graders, are still very much in a concrete realm. Surrounding them in an environment that allows them to interact and explore so they can truly learn seems essential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I have been modeling and coaching for as long as I have been teaching Math but maybe I need to fade a bit more. I guess the "holy grail" for me is changing the way I do things so that it has more meaning for the community of learners based on how they learn or zone of proximal development. Specifically, how can I get them across the river?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the two driving questions are what the students have to know and how we can present it to them meaningfully in a real-world context. One of the most enlightening parts of this class has been the idea of creating the culture within the classroom. This goes beyond solving school-based problems and immerses students into their learning, such as when we were problem solving for Don in Africa. Having the students immersed into the activity is truly the challenge. I have had my “Why don’t these kids understand how to find x” conversations, but you are correct that each student brings their own differences, and it is our jobs as teachers to use those differences to our advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Math instruction has always been something I've thought a lot about. As a student, I didn't "get it" and ended up fearing and hating math. As a teacher (when I taught elementary grades) I felt like I was actually very good at teaching math. The reason is because I had to slow down and get to the heart of the foundations of what & why & how... I needed to go back to the basics to understand what it was I was asking my students to understand. As a parent, I've watched my kids struggle and memorize things so they could get through the class. This memorization was done so they could pass the class, pass the SOLs, and basically had little meaning for them. They were pretty much the same experiences I had as a kid. So, when students have a need to go back and understand the basic building blocks for the foundations of math, but the teachers have to spend their time on the SOLs that will be tested in a few months, it seems "success" is gained for some, but everyone (society) actually loses. Who is responsible? Kids aren't held back anymore, and if second-grade Susie isn't ready for 3rd grade math, oh well? Are the parents supposed to fix her gaps? The third grade teacher? When? How? This doesn't even touch on the students coming from so many different backgrounds. Some students arriving in middle school have barely any schooling at all, but they're placed in a class that matches their age. What else are we to do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your goal of implementing more projects to substitute note taking and concept memorization. Right now most of my students are working on projects to wrap up the first instructional unit of the year and it is very exciting to see them fully engaged with the material. I’m not sure if for language learning I can do away with vocabulary memorization completely, but I will definitely try and find alternative ways to just simply going over vocabulary lists. I think that introducing a more meditated approach to play may be what I need to spice things up and get my students more excited about new vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete