After looking at the original publishing date of The
Saber Tooth Curriculum the history minor in me came out and I began
searching for allegories in the book with the world of the 1930s. One that I came up with was when conservative
members were resisting the education system on religious grounds. I thought, hmm, sounds similar to the Scopes Monkey
Trial of the 1920s with Evolution vs. Creationism. One very obvious allegory I missed came up during
class discussion the other night—hello, the dictator on the hill, the world on
the brink of World War II.
Aside from allegorical
relationships, I found the book brilliant.
Peddiwell tells of the teaching field in such a timeless manner that
even 80 years later, still rings true. An
initial curriculum is set up by New Fist in a manner that makes sure people of
the Paleolithic time know what to do for survival. As times change, the curriculum is
adjusted. But the curriculum is met with
opposition and issues arise from there. What
stands out most to me is that New Fist’s goal was to create a population who
was able to survive in the community—when we step back from standards and
testing, that’s what we strive to do too many millennia after the Paleolithic
Era.
Machiavelli’s quote, “the end
justifies the means,” to me says that despite whatever flaws might exist, a
good outcome is ultimately the main goal.
I apply that quote into the education field and think of the constant
changes we have made over time in an effort to better meet the needs of our
students—whether it be fishing in New Fist times, learning Latin during the
times of the Roman Empire, or learning how to thrive in an ever increasing
globalized world of today. The end goal,
is a group who can keep the community going in an unknown world of
tomorrow.
I agree that project based learning is a powerful tool to allow students to solve authentic problems. You also raise a good point about students struggling with math because they do not see the real life relevance. I see the same issue with teaching language arts. Students may ask why they need to know a particular concept (for example: figurative language, imagery, narrative structure, etc.) Although they may shrug off my answers when teaching these objectives in isolation, students will almost always delve deep into project based learning. For example, last year, language arts and social studies teamed up to have the students write an inquiry based research paper and poster presentation on an important event in WWII. Students learned not only the social studies content, but language arts provided the structure to complete a research paper. This was quite a lengthy project, but students were engaged and found the learning meaningful.
ReplyDeleteI love that you teamed up with Social Studies! My first year teaching in SC, I taught 8th grade SC History. The ELA teacher and I would frequently plan together to create activities. We even had our advanced classes writing DBQs, document-based questions, as if they were in AP History, focusing on thesis statements and analyzing documents. While they were young, it's amazing their capabilities with a little push!
DeleteI am so excited that LCPS has taken on the OttW initiative, and that we are encouraged and expected to engage our students in PBL. If I had been a student learning math in a real-life way, I might not feel nauseous every time I hear the word "geometry"! Even my current students have math anxiety if it's not their natural talent (I'm not a math teacher, but the topic still comes up). I agree with the power of PBL. Working with subjects across the curriculum on an authentic project/problem can really tie together the reasons for learning certain things. Kids want to matter, and being able to make a real impact in their community is a win-win all the way. Content is made meaningful, and kids made the difference. Teachers need more support in how to be the facilitator, as well as easier access to technology. I'm also so glad you made the point that PBL should not be done to "check off a box." Teachers who do that clearly don't understand the reasons for doing it, or perhaps they are under-supported in too many areas. Teaching can be exhausting, as we all know. We need real time to design and plan with each other, as well as fewer items to check off of our to-do lists.
ReplyDeleteAgreed--teachers do need more support! Yes, we have PBL trainings and such, but I know for me, as a math teacher, I never get common planning with other content teachers because I teach 6th and 7th grade classes. Therefore, we are never able to come up with these PBLs going across all contents. :(
DeleteI totally agree with your idea that, as educators, we need to rethink our practices and put our students’ interest first. It is, indeed, a great responsibility to fulfill New Fist’s goal of helping the youth to become productive members of our community who can identify our needs and work together to satisfy them.
ReplyDeleteI have also been trying to use PBL in my lessons with some success. They helped make the content a bit more attractive, but I still think that the projects I designed lacked a final connection with the culture outside of school.
I do like your idea of rearranging and combining standards to reinforce them instead of just covering them in a sequential way. It made me think of using and expanding them in a spiral way, revisiting some of the skills to add on more complexity and establish more meaningful connections between them.
It's a challenge coming up with the final connection with the culture outside of school! I think that all goes back to the culture of school as pointed out in Situated Cognition...we make school this place for students to follow rules and procedures, but rarely give them chances to truly explore their academic capabilities.
Delete